One thing that makes it difficult to come up with new, creative and innovative ideas is that our brains tend to be lazy, often jumping to the first solution that comes to mind. There are simple techniques that can help us to move beyond the knee jerk reactions of our mind to find deeper, more meaningful ideas and solutions.
The theory that we have two sides to our brain, the left being more logical and the right being more creative, is too simplistic to be totally accurate. However, it is true that different parts of the brain tend to be used for certain functions. The left brain is used more for languages, numbers and logic and the right for intuition, expression and creativity. The following technique can help to fuse these different ways of thinking to discover unique, whole-brain insights that can transform our lives.
Sit in a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed.
- Think of a decision you would like to make or a subject on which you need a new insight.
- Inside your brain there is constant electrical activity. Imagine this electrical energy in the form of sparks and lights dancing across the brain sending information from one part to another. Imagine that most of the electrical energy is happening on the left side of the brain. Now watch the activity spread to the right side of the brain. Watch the lights become brighter and more frequent until the both sides of your brain are fizzing with activity. Keep imagining this activity for a few minutes. Then relax and just watch the activity and your thoughts for as long as you feel comfortable.
- Write down or sketch any insights or ideas you have had.
- Relax for a few moments in case any more ideas come to you and note them down, too.
- You can thank your subconscious for any insights it has given you if you wish.